Freddy E, Honey Cocaine, and Suicide

courtesy of www.mtv.com I do not own the rights to this picture

Rapper Freddy E committed suicide on Saturday, January 5, 2013 reportedly due to a breakup with girlfriend, Honey Cocaine, an up and coming rapper.

"Annnd, my day is ruined," he wrote in one of the first tweets, going on to add, "If there's a God then He's calling me back home. This barrel never felt so good next to my dome. It's cold & I'd rather die than live alone. It's... all... bad... y'all. *puts finger around trigger.*"


While it is unfair to go after Honey Cocaine and threaten her life, as she clearly tweets, I have to wonder what she meant when she said, "I said some foolish things cause I thought he was joking. He does shit like that to me all the time." 

Did he threaten to kill himself? Did he allude that he was going to do it? 

What is it about suicide threats that people just don't take seriously? Can one blame their obvious youth and ignorance about the subject? I guess you could. But the fact of the matter is that most people are IGNORED when they make threats to kill themselves. 

If you saw someone on the side of the road that was in a car accident. They are in need of help and ask you to call 911. Do you hesitate to do so? You can see that they are injured and need help. 

Why is it that mental illness and suicide aren't treated the same way? Someone threatening to kill themselves IS AN EMERGENCY situation, especially if that person has the means to do so such as keeping weapons or large amounts of prescription drugs in the house. 

Why don't we take suicide threats seriously?

Now that this young man at such the young age of twenty-two is dead, we look to place blame. More people need to understand that if someone makes a threat to hurt themselves, take it as seriously as that person injured in a car accident on the road. 

No more lives lost to suicide.

Comments